- We do not accept articles that use slang terms or profanity in the title. Think child-safe or “G” rated article titles.
- We do not allow all UPPERCASE TEXT within your titles. Please use the following CP style format: “This is my article title”.
- Be creative, you want to catch the reader’s eye.
- Do not plagiarize. There is zero tolerance for plagiarism. You are more than welcome to research your topics (in fact, please do), but please provide citations in APA style. The articles themselves are all required to be in Canadian Press style (Please reference the Canadian Press Stylebook), but we also require a reference page in APA format. We won’t be publishing your citations, but we will be checking them. We only accept content that is unique: yes, you are researching your material, but apply your research to your topic and make it something new.
- Articles must be previously unpublished.
- It is the responsibility of the author to obtain permission for the use of any copyrighted material, including images, sound, and video files. It is preferable to place images directly in the text but, when permission is unobtainable, it is acceptable to include a link to the image directly in the text. Please submit proof that you have obtained permission from your source.
- Do not reproduce your article in any manner, either electronic (personal or business), for academic use, or for another publication, without permission.
- Properly Format your article in a fashion that uses paragraphs (including proper spacing) and formatting within the text.
- Overuse of CAPS (capital letters) is not permitted. Instead, use italics if you are looking to emphasize a phrase or sentence. Do not use CAPS within links, either.
- Spelling / Grammar – Your article requires proper spelling and grammar. Please pay careful attention to the draft you submit to make sure it is error-free.
- Discriminatory or derogatory content is unacceptable. If the editors decide the content is inappropriate it will be discussed with the author and revisions can be made, or the article will be rejected.
- Direct quotations should not be changed to alter the context or meaning of the original speaker’s intent.
- No promotional content – No blatant promotions within your article. The article should be naturally written and provide value to the audience. You can also offer “reviews”; however, pure promotions or erroneous promotions within your article are not acceptable. Love the art in you, not you in the art. Be true to yourself, but always, always keep your audience in mind. Do not write your article to benefit yourself.
- Regarding personal communication i.e. interviews, events: any photographs taken or any interviews conducted require a Symmetry Release form with the signature of the subject or interviewee stating their cooperation.
- Photographs – All photos that are submitted must be original or you must have obtained permission from the source to use the photo (please provide proof you have received permission). All photos must be submitted electronically and must be in 300dpi or higher. Photos will also go through the editorial process: if the editors find them unacceptable for any reason (refer to #9), they will be rejected.
- Please keep information and stories as recent/timely as possible.
- Finally, be creative; show, don’t tell; remember your audience; use your common sense; have fun and learn.